To be able to start trading electricity in Latvia, the market participant has to meet the following requirements:
- it is a registered business in Latvia (listed in Latvian Register of Enterprises as a business or a subsidiary);
- it is listed in the electricity traders' register maintained by the Public Utilities Commission;
- it has received an energy identification code from the transmission system operator;
- it has concluded a system use agreement with the transmission system operator;
- it has concluded an agreement on receiving balancing services with the balancing service provider (or transmission system operator);
- it has concluded a system use agreement with those distribution system operators who hold licenses in the zones where it is planning to provide services to the electricity end consumers.
A market participant who, in addition to the above requirements, has fulfilled the following requirements may start trading in electricity produced in Russia in Latvia:
- has notified the transmission system operator of its plans to start trading in Russian electricity and its readiness to comply with all formalities related to electricity trading with Russia. The notification must use the standard form available here: Letter of notification for electricity trade with Russia
- has concluded an Agreement on amendments to the System Use Agreement concluded with the transmission system operator, which includes the necessary amendments related to electricity trade with Russia.
An Agreement on amendments to the System Usage Agreement shall be signed only after all the above requirements for commencement of electricity trading have been met and the transmission system operator has received confirmation from the Russian electricity trader entitled to perform import and export transactions on the market participant right to perform import and export transactions of Russian electricity trade in Latvia.