To be able to start trading electricity in Latvia, the market participant has to meet the following requirements:
- it is a registered business in Latvia (listed in Latvian Register of Enterprises as a business or a subsidiary);
- it is listed in the electricity traders' register maintained by the Public Utilities Commission;
- it has received an energy identification code from the transmission system operator;
- it has concluded a system use agreement with the transmission system operator;
- it has concluded an agreement on receiving balancing services with the balancing service provider (or transmission system operator);
- it has concluded a system use agreement with those distribution system operators who hold licenses in the zones where it is planning to provide services to the electricity end consumers.